BEST FAMILY HOTELS IN THE ALGARVE
With its guaranteed sunshine (summer temperatures averaging 25-30°C), golden beaches and year-round direct flights (Faro airport is around 2½-3 hours’ flight-time from the UK), the Algarve is, not surprisingly, one of the top choices for a family holiday. Our pick of the best family hotels in the Algarve is wide ranging from a luxury resort to chic, laid back B&Bs.
The Portuguese are very family-orientated so children – and their parents – are welcomed in hotels and restaurants. You’ll often find Portuguese families out and about until late evening as they stroll the streets or linger over post-dinner drinks.
Similarly, hotels – especially the larger resorts – are geared up to looking after children, with kids’ clubs and activities, children-friendly pools and babysitting services. Near the larger resort towns, such as Albufeira, Lagos and Carvoeiro, you’ll also find a host of family attractions such as zoos, theme parks and watery-themed adventure playgrounds where thrills and spills are high on the agenda.
Some hotels offer the choice of self-catering villas to allow families even greater flexibility. But, whether you choose to go all-inclusive, half-board or room-only, do remember the region is hugely popular especially in the school holidays. To bag one of the best family hotels in the Algarve, it is best to book well ahead.
BEST FAMILY HOTELS IN THE ALGARVE
WITH SELF CATERING OPTIONS
- The colourful and contemporary apartments of Casa Vicentina, near Odeceixe on the west coast, will suit active families. There’s a pool, playground and nature reserve plus it’s close to the beaches.
- Casa Beleza do Sul’s self-catering apartments, in Tavira, combine traditional and contemporary style – designed by the architect owner – to make a lovely cool retreat after a day on the beach or exploring the town. Plus there’s a shady roof terrace with stunning views over the many church domes of the town.
- Close to Tavira, but feeling a world away, Quinta da Colina is a traditional manor house with high-beamed ceilings, set amongst citrus and carob trees. As well as B&B rooms, there’s a self-catering cottage, ideal for families, plus there’s a rustic-chic pool made from a former irrigation tank.
FOR THOSE ON A BUDGET
- With large, rustic-style suites, Muxima offers simple and colourful rooms, close to the west-coast beaches; ideal for families looking for a well-priced beach holiday. Each room has a small terrace plus there’s an eco-pool in which to cool off.
- The beach, the outdoor pool, the kids club and junior dive courses are amongst a host of other activities that make Memmo Baleeira, on the south-western tip, a great family choice. Plus it has a chic white-on-white style and spa that will keep the grown-ups happy.
- Tucked away in the lesser-visited, eastern Algarve, Companhia das Culturas, a working farm, offers just eight cool and whitewashed rooms with a charming rustic style. Four rooms are large apartments, converted from an old mill and sheepfold, are ideal for families. There’s also a hammam, saltwater pool and yoga classes.
BEST MID-RANGE ALGARVE FAMILY HOTELS
- Surrounded by citrus groves, and just 15 minutes from the beach, Quinta da Cebola Vermelha is a traditional farmhouse in central Algarve. Two of its charmingly styled, traditional rooms are perfect for families, plus there’s a large heated saltwater pool.
- Close to Sagres, in the south-west, and right on the beach, Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel offers a range of activities including snorkelling, windsurfing, riding and kayaking. Crisp and contemporary in style, choose between standard rooms, condos and beachfront villas.
FOR A LUXURY RESORT
- No-one will be bored at Vila Vita Parc, a cliff-top resort near Porches that offers a children’s club, playground and pool, while parents can choose between deep-sea fishing, tennis, golf and a spa. Contemporary luxury rooms and a choice of eight dining options.